(Adapted from Eggless Chocolate Sponge Cake Recipe (No Butter): Edible Garden )
Chocolate cake is the ultimate comfort for all of us. I have made it loads of times but this recipe has become my "go-to" savior in times of crisis.
Not only is this recipe eggless but it yields a plump cake that is moist, yummy, and "melt-in-the-mouth" chocolaty!
On principle, I avoid eggless baking because I love the light and airy texture that eggs provide. However, when I tried this one, I loved it! The texture was exactly like a chocolate brownie! And the best part is that you don't need to add curd or yoghurt to the batter. Instead we need to add vinegar...yes you heard me right! Vinegar. Any kind of vinegar that you use at home.
|The lovely slices|
I am forever indebted to Edible Garden for this yummy and easy recipe. You can find the original recipe here.
Here is the recipe:
APF/Maida: 1 and a half cup
Sugar: 1 cup
Vinegar (Apple cider vinegar/ any type of vinegar you use/ lemon juice): 1 tablespoon
Cold milk/ water: 1 cup
Oil: 1/4th cup
Vanilla extract: 1 tsp
Baking soda: 1 tsp
Cocoa powder: 3 tablespoons
A pinch of salt
1. Add cold milk, vanilla extract, vinegar, sugar and oil. Remember to use cold milk. If you use warm milk, the milk will curdle. Cold water works fine for this recipe.
2. Next add all the dry ingredients.
3. Now start adding the dry mixture to the wet one gradually. Mix using the "cut-and-fold" method. Do not overbeat.
4. Mix till there are no lumps in the batter.
5. Grease a cake tin and pour the batter into it. I added some chopped nuts and raisins as well.
6. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C for ten minutes. (My cake surface tends to crack at this temp so I pre-heat at 176 degrees C.) Also place a small steel bowl of water in the oven. This will ensure that your cake remains moist.
7. Place the cake tin in the pre-heated oven and bake for 45 minutes at the same temperature.
8. Insert a toothpick or skewer in the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cake is done.
9. Now take the cake out of the oven and let it cool down for some time,
10. De-mold the cake and have it with chocolate sauce or vanilla ice-cream. I don't like any kind of toppings on this cake. Yummy....ummmmm!