(Adapted from Instant Rabdi: Tarla Dalal)
Noboborsho is just round the corner. On this day, the "bhojonroshik" Bengali likes to indulge in gastronomical delights. A lavish lunch is usually on the cards.
A great meal needs to be completed with a delicious dessert. So, at the start of the Bengali New Year (Poila Boishak), I present the queen of all desserts...Rabri. This is a quick recipe that needs just ten minutes of cooking time.
Yes...you heard me right! Only ten minutes. I got this easy-peasy recipe from Tarla Dalal's website. You can find her recipe here.
Just check out this sumptuous beauty!
Here is how I made it:
Ingredients:Milk: 2 cups (I used toned milk but full cream is fine too!)
Condensed milk: 1/4th cup
Sugar: 2 tablespoons
Bread: 2 slices
Elaichi powder (green cardamom): 1/4th teaspoon
Saffron: few strands (optional)
1. First, discard the brown side crusts of the bread slices. Tear into pieces and dry grind the bread pieces in a mixer to get fine bread crumbs.
2. Gather all the ingredients.
3. Now boil the milk. Once the milk has boiled, reduce the flame.
4. Add the sugar, condensed milk, and bread crumbs.
5. Now keep stirring the milk for ten minutes in a medium flame. Do not stop stirring or else the milk may burn.
6. You will see the milk turning thicker. The breadcrumbs will lend a creamy consistency to milk.
7. After ten minutes, turn off the flame and add elaichi powder and saffron.(I did not use saffron)
8. Cool to room temperature and set in the fridge for 2 hours. I decorated the Rabri with some tutti fruiti.
Your delicious creamy Rabri is ready!